We want to provide information to help you learn about income tax returns.

We aren’t the government, and our company is private. We provide this information in a free guide.

If you’re trying to get assistance, we want to give you information so that you can:

  • Understand the requirements for income tax returns.
  • Learn about the tax filing process.
  • Seek to get the most out of your tax return.

Table of Contents

  1. Want to learn about us?
  2. Where do we get our information?
  3. Are we the government?
  4. Is my information protected?
  5. How do I know which tax form to use?
  6.  Where can I get the forms to file my income tax return?
  7. What is a W-9 tax form?
  8. How do I know if I need to complete a W-9 or a W-4?
  9. What is a 1099-MISC tax form?
  10. Why did I receive a 1099-NEC instead of a 1099-MISC?
  11. What is an I-9 tax form?
  12. How do I correct a mistake on an application to qualify for Medicaid?

1.     Want to learn about us?

We are not affiliated with the government in any way. We are a private company that engaged writers to research government assistance programs and compiled a guide and the following answers to frequently asked questions. Our goal is to help you get the benefits that you need by providing useful information on the process.  We are not providing legal or financial advice. If you need such advice please contact an attorney or a financial advisor. 

2.     Where do we get our information?

Our team of writers does research online. We find important information that’s already online. Then we put the information in one place and in a clear way to make things easier for you.

3.     Are we the government?

No, we are not the government. Our company is private. We find information that’s already online, but we put it together to make things easier for you. We want to give you the best help that we can. 

4.     Is my information protected?

We believe in the importance of keeping your data safe. If you decide to give us your data while using our website, we use many different protections to help keep it safe. To learn more about how we protect your information, check out our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions

5. How do I know which tax form to use?

In most cases, your employers will send you tax documents so you can file your federal income tax return. If you are a traditional employee who works for a company, business, or other similar entity, your employer typically asks you to complete a W-4 – Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate. Then, the employer will send you a W-2 – Wage and Tax Statement a few weeks after the year ends. 

If you are not a traditional employee, such as an independent contractor, freelancer or self-employed individual, your clients may send you a 1099-NEC – Nonemployee Compensation tax form. You may also receive or need to create a 1099-MISC – Miscellaneous Income tax form if you collected money in nontraditional ways, like winning a prize or earning royalties. 

6. Where can I get the forms to file my income tax return?

Typically, your employer or payer will mail the tax documents you need. Businesses have deadlines for sending tax forms. You can contact your employer if you have not received your documents a few days after the deadline, which is usually January 31.

You can download many tax forms from the Internal Revenue Service’s website, including the following common forms:

  • Forms 1040 and 1040-ES 
  • Schedules 1-3 and Schedules A-SE
  • Forms W-2, W-4, and W-9

If you are an employer, you can also order forms from the IRS. You may need to wait until the end of the year to request documents for the next tax year.

7.     What is a W-9 tax form?

The W-9 is the Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certificate. This tax document does not go to the IRS; instead, it shares tax-related information between two entities. Usually, a payee completes the W-9 form for a payer to determine if they are subject to backup withholding.

8.     How do I know if I need to complete a W-9 or a W-4?

Your employment classification determines which tax forms you need to complete. If you are an employee, you typically fill out a W-4. If you are an independent contractor or self-employed, you typically complete a W-9.

9.     What is a 1099-MISC tax form?

The 1099-MISC form details miscellaneous income you may have received from the following sources:

  • Rental properties
  • Prizes, awards, and royalties
  • Fishing proceeds
  • Medical and legal services
  • Broker payments

The tax form covers financial transactions that are not employee or nonemployee compensation. 

10.  Why did I receive a 1099-NEC instead of a 1099-MISC?

If you have been an independent contractor for several years, you may be familiar with the 1099-MISC form as documentation of your income. However, the IRS changed the form for the 2020 tax year to designate nonemployee compensation on the 1099-NEC form. 

11.  What is an I-9 tax form?

The I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification tax form, confirms your identity and legal authorization to work in the United States. Your employer may require you to complete your section of the form to verify that you can legally work in the U.S.

12.  How do I correct a mistake on my tax form?

If there is a mistake on one or more of your tax forms, contact your employer or payer. If you are unable to reach them, you can call the IRS to request the forms on your behalf. Here is the information you may need to give the IRS:

  • Your name, address, contact information, and taxpayer identification number
  • Your employer’s or payer’s name, address, and contact information
  • The dates of your employment
  • The employer’s or payer’s taxpayer identification number, if known

The IRS may send you substitute forms for you to complete your tax return if you do not receive the corrected documents in time to file your federal income tax return. If you receive the corrected forms after filing and they are different from your estimates, you will need to file an amended return.