There are two primary types of Form 1099, each of which covers different sources of income you might have earned throughout the year. 1099-MISC covers many types of income except nonemployee compensation, which is income earned that is different from salary or wages. The 1099-NEC form is used primarily for self-employed individuals, contractors, and freelancers. The Internal Revenue Service also receives a copy of your 1099-MISC and 1099-NEC forms and will know if you fail to report any income. 

You may receive multiple 1099s if you receive different types and sources of income, such as interest, dividends, unemployment compensation, and more. The corresponding tax forms you need to file depend on your income type.